Monday 16 April 2018

Scilly Work If You Can Get It.


It was about this time last year that Tricia my extremely Handsome Son George's mum told me how much it was going to cost to redecorate her holiday cottage on the Isles of Scilly.
"Flipping heck!" I said, "you can't pay that much for a bit of decorating. I will go over there and do it for you."
Hence, here I am one year later in the beautiful Isles of Scilly. Why didn't I keep my mouth shut? I hate decorating!

More about these beautiful islands here. www.visitislesofscilly.com/islands

I had two weeks to get the decorating done but such is my dislike of the job that I have got it done by working almost non-stop for the last five days. Absolutely blitzed my way through it just to get it done and out of the way.
Combine this almost non-stop decorating with the necessity to take Mia the German Shepherd for walks in the hills and this evening I find myself exhausted and ready to change my ticket home for an earlier date. I certainly do miss my humble homestead and I want to get on with building my workshop that I began shortly before I left.
This little house of Tricia's is quite delightful and the garden opens onto the beach. I like having enough electricity to switch things on without worrying that I might blow all the fuses. This happens at home where I only have a limited supply from an extension cable. And the bath here has constant hot water. I have had a bath every night. I love hot water on tap. I even enjoy washing the dishes here. I am sure if I had hot water on tap at home I would be very happy. I may look into the possibility of installing a back boiler when I get home? As I get older the 'simple' life is losing some of its appeal.
Tricia suggests I do nothing tomorrow and have a complete rest before making the decision about returning home early. I think I shall take her advice.
The decorating is finished. I have another week to go. Perhaps some leisurely walks and a boat trip or two to the outlying islands? Or maybe an early journey home? What am I like?
The weather forecasters are predicting a heatwave for the next few days. Tonight it is blowing a gale out there.
I am going to have a bath now. Seven baths in seven days. I hope I am not overdoing it?
Scilly allotments


These miniature plants have made themselves at home on a rock.



The 'Scillonian' sails daily in the Summer months.


Tricia's house.














7 comments:

  1. Oh, i would stay a while. You can carry on with the stuff at home later. Bet you don't see such beautiful sea at home....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful there and Mia looks quite at home. Careful with all those glorious baths... you might melt away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Tresco. I am sure when the heatwave arrives you will enjoy walking the beaches John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds idyllic and now that you've finished the decorating you can explore or relax. whatever takes your fancy. Would you ever think of moving there, John?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't suit me to live here Valerie beautiful as it is.

      Delete
  5. John, how could you consider leaving such a beautiful place before taking a week to enjoy it? Go across to Tresco and spend time in the gardens where exotic birds roam and tame birds join you for cake crumbs at the cafe tables outside. Take a comfy chair on to that white sand and just R E L A X!!! There's nothing that won't keep back at home. Enjoy a holiday with no driving, no effort, no deprivations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well? Did you go? Or did you stay? Lol, lol.

    ReplyDelete