Sunday 13 March 2016

A Strange Occurrence In The Daytime Sky.


It’s been a lovely sun shiny day. A proper SUNday. What a coincidence. Sunny on Sunday. The weather forecast on the BBC said it is going to be dry and sunny all week so I decided to start mending my showman’s wagon roof. How delightful to finally be rid of those horrid tarpaulins. What I am going to do is: I am going to build a roof over the roof. Effectively the wagon will be under a roof. It will be a corrugated steel roof. This is in keeping with my idea that this little homestead of mine will hark back to the 1950’s. No modern horrible plastic will be allowed. This place will be like a museum. Corrugated steel is kind of traditional in that it’s been around a looooong time. We used to call it corrugated iron. I don’t know when the name changed. Anyway, it will cure my leak problems once and for all. Please see explanatory diagram below.

While I was on my roof today I looked up at the sky and, you will not believe this but I swear it is true. I saw the moon. It was about midday the sky was blue, the sun was out and I saw the moon! I shouted out to Tricia who, because I was high up I could see her in her garden, I shouted, really loudly because I was so excited, I shouted, “Tricia, I can see the moon!”

I think I may have startled her a bit because I saw her visibly jump about a foot in the air. “How interesting,” she called back and carried on pruning the roses. I knew she was interested though because of the way she started cutting away at the roses really quickly. It was almost as though she was irritated at me interrupting her peaceful gardening. But I suppose the moon does have that effect on some people.



But yeah, that’s what happened. Strange eh? Most people and I include myself in this, think the moon goes round the other side of the earth during the day. Most times it does. Today it somehow got its timing wrong. Unless. Unless there are two moons? There could be. I mean after all how could we really know? Nobody can be at both sides of the world at the same time to find out. Can they?





9 comments:

  1. I have seen the moon during the day many times in my life. Maybe I am a lunatic? I thought pruning was not to be done in the spring when the sap begins to flow. That may be the reason I have no luck with plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the sun shines Emma, that is when Tricia prunes. Doesn't seem to do any harm. Her roses are profuse.

      Delete
    2. I am not good with plants at all. I should listen to Tricia.

      Delete
  2. I like the look of the new roof. Will you be able to use recycled materials? Perhaps an old factory closing down would give you some corrugated steel or iron. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not sourced the corrugated yet Ilona but I have got all the timber for the construction free.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure I've seen the moon in the daytime.... or perhaps it was an illusion due to the wine!! Good luck with the roofing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It is noisy now when it's pouring rain Briony. Hope it might be quieter when it is double insulated. There will be a gap between the wagon roof and the corrugated roof

      Delete
  5. In the southern hemisphere is is very common to see the moon out during the day time. I thought everyone could see it until others from the northern hemisphere made comment on it. To me its VERY normal. AND there is nothing nicer than lying in bed and listening to the rain come down on the corrugated iron roof which are super common here in Tasmania.

    ReplyDelete