Monday 4 August 2014

Time Warp.

Last night... No I tell a lie... It was the night before last. I spoke to my friend Paul in New Zealand. Spoke via Skype. Spoke face to face. Didn't cost a penny. Amazing! How can that be? Everything costs these days. Nothing is for nothing, is it?

Anyway that's beside the point. The thing is I spoke to Paul via my computer web cam, and he is in New Zealand and I am in England. I have to say it again... Amazing!

But the amazing bit doesn't end there. Oh no. I was talking to Paul at nine o'clock Friday night. When I asked Paul what time it was in New Zealand, he said it's eight o'clock on Saturday morning! So Paul was actually talking to me from a time and a day that didn't even exist! We were in some kind of time warp! I tell you what. It does my 'ed in, and that's a fact.

I still can't get my head around it, and I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent.

It is difficult enough for me to understand how my picture gets down that thin wire from the web cam into the computer, let alone anything else.

Just imagine how it would be if someone who died fifty years ago could come back. What would they make of it all? People who died fifty years ago can't come back though, can they? Can they? No! Don't tell me... No!




5 comments:

  1. I don't understand it either. If you are in a plane you can go backwards to the day before, while still going forwards. How do they do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And its bloomin' winter down here in the antipodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in a science fiction world. And to think it was only a year ago that you had a birthday and here it is again. Happy, happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It beats me too.... technology is truly amazing.
    I often wonder what my grandfather (born 1844 died 1929) would think if I took him for a ride in my car......

    ReplyDelete