Thursday 6 December 2012

Freezing Cold Warmth.

It was so flipping cold this morning I just wanted to stay in bed. But if you have animals to take care of it isn't possible. Sadie the German Shepherd and Bonnie the ginger cat need to go outside and do their business. I don't allow them to use the indoors toilet. They always forget to flush.

From my bed to the toilet is exactly eleven paces. Or five and a half if I'm really desperate! If I need to go in the night, I can spend hours when it is this cold, just getting up the courage to make the journey. When I was a boy in the children's home, and I have just this second recalled this, every bed in the dormitory had an enamel pot under it. This is strange, because there was a toilet just along the hallway. Maybe we were not allowed to leave the dorm. I shan't be getting an enamel pot for under my bed. As I say it is only eleven paces away. I would still have to get out of bed to use it anyway. Hey maybe I could get one of those things they use in hospital? Sorry about this folks. I am rambling again.

Actually the toilet wouldn't flush. I had no water at all. Everything was frozen. Everything! I really ought to wear pajamas when it's this cold! At times like this I have to get water from the house in buckets. It's the same every year, but I get by. I have to spend some time breaking the ice in various water bowls for the hens and the wild birds. Today though it was no sooner done than it froze again. Oh well, never mind, it will soon be spring.

When it is this cold I sometimes have a hankering to be in a centrally heated house with the thermostat turned to very hot. Or at least to wake up in one. That would be bliss. But nah! I'm tough. I can take it.
----------------------------------------------------

Despite the freezing conditions though I was on the beach this morning. Me and Sadie the German Shepherd. Having a lovely walk. I don't know what it was that made me go down to the seaside today. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I did it. What with it being so cold and all.

Oh did I mention that I was there with Samantha and Ned the Border Collie?
Ned decided to do some litter picking.


Sadie isn't sure about the litter picking.


Sam and her specially made thumbstick.

Sadie stays beside Sam a lot. It could be love, or it might be the treats she has in her pocket?

We had the beach all to ourselves.

Sam was really pleased with the thumbstick I made her. It came in really useful when she stood in some quicksand!

Do you know, I never felt cold at all when I was on the beach today. Something took my mind off the cold. It's a mystery to me, but I had a rosy glow for the rest of the day.

I hope you are keeping warm, or if you are from warmer climes, managing to keep cool.

Come back and see me soon.

John.

12 comments:

  1. I think spring was in the air for a wee bit after your trip to the beach. How nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my dad's enamel pot for a houseplant holder. He used it for the intended purpose. Just didn't want to go downstairs in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleven paces to the loo? Luxury!
    Jane x
    PS Was Sam a model?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not too cold here yet but getting closer, no snow yet. When I was little my Grandma had a trailer that she pulled when we went on vacation. It had a little pot we would use and she had painted lines on the outside with cute little sayings if you had met the level. I still have the bucket and although the painted lines have worn off, it still holds good memories (nothing else).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like lurvvvvv. Or do you stay close to Sam for the treats in her pocket, ha ha. Maybe she could keep you warm at night, ooops, shouldn't have said that, slip of the index fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't want to worry you but.... the older you get the longer eleven strides seems. Just thought I'd mention that...grins. Love the thumb stick. Do I detect a certain frivolousness about your walk to the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha Ha your fans are nearly as amusing as you my dear John! I need 11 paces just to get out my room, and i wear jarmies... Was Sam a model? hee hee love it, tho wait a minute, why WAS?! Ah well I'm off to bake more liver cake treats ready for Sadie, such a good girl--unlike Naughty Ned who chases mysterious women jogging on beaches for miles!
    PS. BEAUTIFUL THUMBSTICK x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe WAS, because you look so familiar as well as beautiful...guessing I've seen you in a magazine.
      Jane x

      Delete
  8. more toilet humor---
    Yesterday, I spent the last hour of sunlight digging up the septic tank. GREAT fun! Oh sh*t.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like Sadie isn't the only one smitten with Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were warm relatively speaking for this time of the year but it looks like winter is showing up this week. I am not a detective and I have not even played one on TV but I think I might now why you were not feeling too cold on the beach. If you would like the answer, please send me $49.95.=) Sam is a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I don't know what it was that made me go down to the seaside today. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I did it. What with it being so cold and all."
    Who are you kidding John? Certainly not me.
    You know exactly why you went down to the beach in the cold.
    We all love Sam like you do...smile.
    Love the "specially made" thumbstick by the way.

    ReplyDelete